Third Quarter 2021 activity & update
| Cnova posted a resilient business performance despite softer market conditions than anticipated in the particular context of reopening
In view of Q3 soft market demand and related necessary price investments, Cnova is no longer in position to confirm its guidance released on June 1st and June 7th (GMV, Sales, EBITDA).
AMSTERDAM – October 8, 2021, 07:45 CET Cnova N.V. (Euronext Paris: CNV; ISIN: NL0010949392) (“Cnova”) today announced its third quarter 2021 activity.
3rd quarter 2021 Highlights
During the 3rd quarter 2021, Cnova posted a resilient +8% GMV growth in a soft ecommerce market in the particular context of reopening. Despite softer market conditions than anticipated our loyal customer base increased, with Cdiscount A Volonté (CDAV) members growing +10.8% vs. last year to reach 2.4 million. The group also continued to accelerate on its strategic pillars with growing marketplace revenues (+8.0%), digital marketing (+31%) as well as its B2B initiatives with Octopia (+15.4%) and C-Logistics.
Our customer loyalty has increased thanks to a record high customer satisfaction measured by the NPS (+5.6pts), in particular for new customers, with a focus on express delivery and enhanced customer experience on Cdiscount.com.
Marketplace revenues reached €44.7m, growing by +8.0%, despite a slower growth pace of the GMV (+1.9%) with a negative effect from Chinese sellers being impacted by new VAT regulation. On LTM, marketplace revenues reached €201m, growing +14.8% vs. last year LTM period.
Digital marketing revenues increased by +31% at €16.9m in the 3rd quarter driven by the development of Cnova’s in-house digital marketing bidding platform Cdiscount Ads Retail Solution (“CARS”). CARS nearly doubled its revenues in just one year, enhancing the monetization of Cnova’s ecommerce platform. CARS turnkey white label offer is now live for commercialization in the 4th quarter.
Octopia GMV grew by +15.4% in the 3rd quarter (€22.1m). GMV grew by +41.1% on a year-to-date basis with a strong growth of Products-as-a-Service offer at +36.5% (€65m) and Fulfilment-as-a-Service activity at +149.3%. The commercial ramp-up of Merchants- and Marketplace-as-a-Service offers is accelerating. 5 contracts with leading retailers and e-commerce players have been signed during Q3, leading to 7 contracts signed in the last 9 months in different countries. This trend is expected to further accelerate, given the continuously growing pipeline.
C-Logistics third party offers benefited from a strong commercial ramp-up: 25 clients signed with 15 already launched.
In a soft French ecommerce environment in the 3rd quarter, Cnova reinforced its pricing competitiveness on the ecommerce platform, posting resilient growth in a soft market. The 3rd quarter context led to expected GMV, Sales and EBITDA for the full year below the previously announced guidance.
Besides, due to current market conditions and despite interest mentioned by possible investors, we believe Cnova’s raising of funds cannot be pursued in satisfactory conditions and is therefore deferred.
Emmanuel Grenier, Cnova CEO, commented:
“In a timid 3rd quarter market, we confirmed our relevant positioning with a strong ecommerce platform benefiting from a growing loyal customer base and the acceleration of our digital marketing solutions.
In this soft market, we have launched several actions to maintain our growth dynamics. In light of this situation, Cnova is no longer in position to confirm its guidance released in June.
On the B2B side, C-Logistics and Octopia confirmed their commercial dynamic, notably with contracts signed with major e-commerce players and retailers confirming our strategic route on this segment.”
Third Quarter 2021 Key Figures
| Cnova N.V.
|Third Quarter (1)|| Change
|Key operational metrics|
|Traffic (million visits)||246.3||252.7||-2.5%|
|Orders (2) (million)||6.4||6.6||-2.1%|
|Items sold (million)||11.0||11.4||-3.5%|
|Key financial figures (€m)|
| Ecommerce platform
o/w Direct sales
|o/w Marketplace (3)||342.2||335.9||+1.9%|
| o/w Other revenues
|Total Net Sales||528.0||484.6||+9.0%|
Third Quarter 2021 Highlights
GMV posted a resilient +7.5% increase in the 3rd quarter 2021.
GMV growth was driven by:
- Direct Sales for 2.6 points (+5.8% y-o-y), benefiting from strengthened relationship with top international brands.
- Marketplace for 0.7 point (+1.9% y-o-y). Cnova raised quality standards through tighter control and selection of merchants and products resulting in a record high NPS above 50.
- B2C Services for 2.8 points (+53.9% y-o-y), among which Energy brought 2.1 points to Cnova growth
- Octopia for 0.3 point (+15.4% y-o-y). Products-as-a-Service offer benefited from a resilient growth in EMEA while Fulfilment-as-a-Service offer continued to accelerate (+59.3%).
|Marketplace||3Q21||Change vs. 3Q20|
|Marketplace product GMV share||43.2%||-0.9 pt|
|Marketplace Fulfilment GMV share||38.3%||+2.8 pts|
Marketplace grew by +1.9% vs. the same period last year. Raised quality standards led to a stabilized marketplace GMV share this quarter at 43.2%. As part of this strategy, Fulfilment by Cdiscount continued to be very dynamic with a +35% growth in the 3rd quarter vs. last year.
Net Sales amounted to €528.0m, i.e. a +9.0% increase vs. 3rd quarter 2020. This increase is mainly explained by a solid growth of Fulfilment by Cdiscount (+35.0%) and Octopia (+15.4%) as well as dynamic Direct Sales (+5.8%) contributing +2.6 pts to Cnova Net Sales growth.
Increasing Marketplace revenues and stable Marketplace GMV share
- Direct Sales grew by +5.8% in the 3rd quarter 2021 vs. last year, driven by reinforced relations with top international brands;
- The Marketplace grew by +1.9% in the 3rd quarter vs. last year, with raised quality standards applied to merchants and a record high NPS of 50;
- This led to a 43.2% Marketplace GMV share in the 3rd quarter 2021, stable vs. the same period last year;
- Marketplace revenue generation, supported by CARS digital marketing, grew by +8.0% in the 3rd quarter vs. last year, reaching €44.7m and €201m over the last twelve months, growing +20% vs. the previous last twelve months period.
Expansion of marketplace SKUs eligible to express delivery is a key driver of growth, customer satisfaction and contributes to the development of our loyalty program, Cdiscount à Volonté (CDAV). It is also determinant to support the product mix re-orientation towards recurring products categories.
- Fulfilment by Cdiscount kept growing at a fast pace, with a +35% GMV increase, reaching €18.8m. A consequent effort is made to provide always more quality by recruiting Top sellers and sign sellers with low quality.
- Cdiscount Express Seller, launched in 2019 for sellers able to offer express delivery to CDAV customers, extended its offering compared to the previous quarter, to reach 2.1 million eligible SKUs.
Our loyalty program Cdiscount A Volonté (CDAV) grew by +10.8%, reaching 2.4 million members. CDAV represented 41.9% of total GMV in the 3rd quarter 2021. CDAV members show more purchase recurrence and loyalty than non-CDAV clients.
Read More:Cnova N.V. – Third Quarter 2021 activity & update